Holy Week and Easter Services
Holy Week & Easter at Pohick
Palm Sunday – April 2, 8 am and 10:30am
Please join us for the Stations of The Cross during Holy Week. We will meet at the Dogwood Chapel every day, Monday through Friday, at noon.
Maundy Thursday – April 6, 7 pm
Good Friday Liturgy and Stations of the Cross – April 7, noon and 7 pm
Easter Sunday – April 9
6 am Easter Vigil
8 am Hot Cross Buns Breakfast
9 am Festival Eucharist with Full Choir and Bell Choir
Easter Reception to follow in the Common Room
10:15 am Community Easter Egg Hunt
11 am Festival Eucharist with Baptisms and Children’s Choirs
Easter Reception to follow in the Common Room
- The final Wednesday Night Lenten Potluck Supper is TONIGHT! March 29 at 5:30 pm: Spiritual Programs for all Ages will follow supper at 6:05 pm, and Healing Eucharists will begin at 7 pm.
- During Lent, in addition to our Church School classes, we will offer a Lenten Program for children and youth on Wednesday Night. Immediately after the Potluck Supper at 5:30, the program will provide scripture lessons and activities from 6:15-6:45 pm. The nursery will be open for children under 3 years old. The Lenten program prepares the students for the joyous resurrection of our Lord celebrated on Easter Sunday, April 9.
- The children are also invited to participate in our Lenten Mite Box program. The Boxes are available at Sunday School and will be collected on Easter Sunday. The funds are given to the Episcopal Relief and Development/Gifts for Life. Our goal this year is to buy a goat for a needy village.
- Suggested Lenten Disciplines: Stations of the Cross Meditation and Sacrament of Confession. You might try a discipline of centering prayer, contemplating Christ’s love for you and for the world. Or try scripture meditation on a Holy Week Gospel passage. Or practice penitence and self-reflection. You might try walking the Stations of the Cross at the Dogwood Chapel below the lower parking lot (materials are there in a box), or spending time alone in silence in a place of sanctuary, or taking a contemplative walk in nature. Notice how the Spirit moves you to a greater compassion for yourself and others.
- Also, consider scheduling a private Sacrament of Confession with Rev. Lynn, a sacred, one-on-one encounter in which you make a confidential confession and receive the healing and restoration of absolution.
- Easter Flowers for Pohick Church! Please pick up a form today and return it to the church office with your check no later than Friday March 31.
- Maundy Thursday April 6, 7 pm: Make plans to attend and invite friends and family to Maundy Thursday services, Eucharist, foot washing and prayer vigil at Altar of Repose in the Vestry House.
- Good Friday April 7, noon and 7 pm. Liturgy and Stations of the Cross (noon)
- The worship committee and choirs are laboring with great love to lead both of these and other powerful, meaningful Holy Week services. Please read about them on our web page’s Spiritual Blog and in the March/April Pohick Post.
- 4:00 am Pohick Church Easter Morning Flame Walk prior to Easter Vigil – We will walk the “Paschal Flame Walk” from the former site of Pohick Church on Old Colchester Road. Participants arrive at Pohick’s Old Colchester Road Parking Lot at 4:00-4:15 am to be shuttled to the starting point. We leave the old site at 4:30 am to ensure our arrival at 5:30 am.
- 6:00 am Easter Vigil. This most ancient Easter service, considered the most important liturgical service of the year, will be by candlelight outside the church, where the “new fire” will be lit on the Paschal Candle and processed inside. This is a full Easter Vigil with the Exultet and readings on the history of salvation.
- 8:00 am “Hot Cross Buns” coffee hour in the Common Room, sponsored by the Brotherhood of St. Andrew.
- 9:00 am Festival Eucharist with Trumpets and Full Choir. The Flowering of the Cross: Children can bring single stemmed flowers for the cross, and will be called up during the offertory to flower the cross.
- 10:15 am Community Easter Egg Hunt The Christian Education ministry is coordinating a Community-wide Easter Egg Hunt. Please plan to bring your children and grandchildren! Nursery, Preschoolers, Kindergarten and 1st grade students, and at least one parent should go to Classroom E & F. 2nd – 5th graders with at least one parent should go to Classrooms A & B upstairs, for a hunt in the Courtyard.
- 11:00 am The second Festival Eucharist with Baptisms and with Children’s Choirs begins at 11 am. The Flowering of the Cross: Children can bring single stemmed flowers for the cross, and will be called up during the offertory to flower the cross.
- Mite Boxes are available at Sunday School and the information table in the foyer. If you forget to bring your Mite Box on Easter, please bring it to Sunday School on the 16th.
Pohick Post – November 2022
Pohick Post March/April 2023
Pohick Post December 2022
2022 Advent and Christmas Services
The Way of Dispossession: A Spiritual Uncluttering
The Way of Dispossession: A Spiritual Uncluttering Year C, Luke 14:26-33 Sermon to Pohick Church 9/2/22 Rev. Dr. Lynn Ronaldi, Rector I don’t know about you, but it seems like I am always trying to get rid of clutter in my life! It feels like I’ve just emptied my in-basket or e-mail, and it’s full…