Music plays an important part in the worship of God, amplifying the lectionary, supporting the liturgy, calling all to prayer, and inspiring and encouraging those present to faithfully live their Christian calls in the world. Pohick musicians seek to provide just such a ministry, rehearsing throughout the year to support the integral role of music in worship, which is the center of the Christian life.
Dan Catalanotto, Minister of Music
Look below for opportunities to participate with other musicians and learn and grow your own musical skills. New members of all the Pohick music groups are always welcome. This may be the time to explore your own musical skills.
- Choir of Pohick – College age and adult singers. Rehearsals: Thursdays 7:30 pm – 9:15 pm in the Music Room. Sings for the Sunday 10:30 am service (warming up at 9:45 am) and for special additional Christmas and Holy Week services.
- Primary, Junior and Senior Children’s Choirs – Students in grades 2-12. Rehearsals: Wednesdays on an overlapping rehearsal schedule. While these different age groups of children rehearse part of the time together and partly with their own age groupings, they form a single children’s choral ensemble for services and concerts.
- Primary Choir for grades 2-3 meet from 6:00pm-7:15pm. Primary choristers learn to understand and read choral music scores and perform with the older choristers. Vocal training and development is a core focus for Primary choristers.
- Junior Choir for grades 4-7 meet from 6:30pm-7:45pm. Junior choristers learn to sing a varied repertoire of choral music and part-singing in several languages.
- Senior Choir for grades 8-12 meet from 7:45pm-8:30pm. Seniors provide musical leadership for the children’s ensemble and sing 3-4 part treble choral literature.
- The Cherubs Music Program
- Early Childhood Music, ages 4-6
- The Cherubs Program at Pohick Church is a specialized music class that parents attend with their children. The kids think it’s all fun and games, and this is true, but it is a music theory class where very young kids learn to read treble clef notes by name on the staff and keyboard, and learn basic rhythms and time signatures all the way through to eighth notes. The whole program is free and fun, colorful and full of movement, singing, and rhythm instrument playing. They also perform for the congregation once each month from September through April.
- Try-it classes are being held throughout the month of August on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays at 5:30pm, and Saturdays at 10:00am. Call Dan Catalanotto at 301-661-9294 to schedule.
- Pohick Bell Choir – Teens and adults. Rehearsals: Thursdays, 6:15 pm – 7:15 pm. Studies bell techniques, musicianship, and rings joyfully once a month for the 10:30 service.
- Click here to watch a video: Members of the Pohick Church Bell Choir and contralto Carolyn Cockroft ring and sing this ancient hymn, arranged by Linda Wilberger Egan for random ringing, and sung in equal note values as a chant.
- Pohick Pickers – Adult instrumentalists. Play a variety of instruments on third Sunday of the month at the 10:30 am service and for community outreach events.
- This fall individual members of this group may be called upon to play their instruments as soloists during services. John Sessums, director
- Pohick Early Church Music Ensemble – Adult singers. Rehearsals: Second and fourth Sundays of the month at 10:30 am – 11:00 am. Sings 16th, 17th, and 18th century a capella anthems at the 11:15 am service several times a year. TG Powell, director
In addition to rehearsals and services listed above, all music groups participate in our annual concert, Sounds of Pohick. You can listen to the 2019 Sounds of Pohick concert by clicking here.
Pohick Church is also quite proud of its pipe organ. Visit this page to learn more about its rich history.