Music plays an important part in the worship of God, amplifying the lectionary, supporting the liturgy, calling all to prayer, and inspiring and encouraging those present to faithfully live their Christian calls in the world. Pohick musicians seek to provide just such a ministry, rehearsing throughout the year to support the integral role of music in worship, which is the center of the Christian life.
Linda Wilberger Egan, Minister of Music
Look below for opportunities to participate with other musicians and learn and grow your own musical skills during this pandemic time, when group rehearsals and liturgy participation are suspended. New members of all the Pohick music groups are always welcome. This may be the time to explore your own musical skills.
- Choir of Pohick – College age and adult singers. Rehearsals: Thursdays 7:30 pm – 9:00 pm in the Music Room. Sings for the Sunday 9:00 am service (warming up at 8:00 am) and for special additional Christmas and Holy Week services.
- This fall, some choir Zoom meetings held at the Thursday time above are planned. These will include lessons about care of and use of the voice in singing, hymns in history, and other relevant subjects, and will include plenty of chances to sing at home during the meetings.
- St. Cecelia St. Alban Choir – Students in grades 4-12. Rehearsals: Sundays 5:00 pm – 6:00 pm in the Music Room. Studies musicianship, singing, and elements of worship. Sings the first Sunday of the month at the 9:00 am service and the third Sunday of the month at the 11:15 am service, warming up at 10:50 am.
- This fall there will be some choir Zoom meetings held at the Sunday time above. In addition, prerecorded video rehearsals will include warm ups, a fun song, information about a hymn, psalm or anthem, and a recording of the accompaniment so that choristers and their families can sing at home. These lessons will be posted on Music from Pohick, our YouTube channel, with links to them on the Pohick website.
- St. Francis Choir – Students in grades K-3. Rehearsals: Wednesdays from 6:00 pm – 6:30 pm. Singers learn basic singing skills as well as traditional songs of Episcopal worship through singing and games. Third graders will learn about the hymnbook — how to find a hymn and how to understand basic hymnbook sections such as the index of first lines and the list of composers. Third graders will also learn how to read a hymn. Sings the second Sunday of the month at the 9:00 am service. Barb Lynn, director
- Pohick Bell Choir – Teens and adults. Rehearsals: Thursdays, 6:15 pm – 7:15 pm. Studies bell techniques, musicianship, and rings joyfully once a month for the 9:00 am and 11:15 am services.
- For this fall we are investigating whether smaller bell ensembles may hold rehearsals in the church and then ring occasionally during services. Further information will be forthcoming. Participation will be at the discretion of members of the ensemble.
- Pohick Pickers – Adult instrumentalists. Rehearsals: Third Sunday of the month at 8:00 am and as announced. Play a variety of instruments on third Sunday of the month at the 9:00 am service and for community outreach events.
- This fall individual members of this group may be called upon to play their instruments as soloists during services. John Sessums, director
- Pohick Early Church Music Ensemble – Adult singers. Rehearsals: Second and fourth Sundays of the month at 10:30 am – 11:00 am. Sings 16th, 17th, and 18th century a capella anthems at the 11:15 am service several times a year. TG Powell, director
In addition to rehearsals and services listed above, all music groups participate in our annual concert, Sounds of Pohick. You can listen to the 2019 Sounds of Pohick concert by clicking here.
Pohick Church is also quite proud of its pipe organ. Visit this page to learn more about its rich history.