Introduction to Pohick: “The Mother Church of Northern Virginia,” Pohick was the first permanent church in the colony north of the Occoquan River, around 1724. Pohick is the home church of American patriots like the Washington, Mason and Fairfax families. Our current church was completed in 1774.
Today, nearly 600 parishioners of all ages worship, pray, study Scripture, serve others, welcome newcomers, and form thriving, Christ-centered relationships. Formed in the Anglican (Church of England) ethos of our spiritual ancestors, our warm, vibrant community of faith remains mission-oriented, relevant, moderate, and transformative. For worship and other activities, we have a multi-media platform, including state-of-the-art audio visual streaming and recording capabilities for broader reach to the community. We have an interactive web page, pohick.org, “Pohick Church” FaceBook page and YouTube channel.
Description of Youth Minister Position: Pohick Church is seeking a gifted, experienced, enthusiastic and flexible youth minister to build upon our strong Episcopal Youth Churchmen (EYC). Our strong program of approximately 35 active youth is a priority at Pohick Church. We fully believe in and support the formation of young people, and we involve other adult volunteers who have been called to this special ministry as well. To that end, under the direction of the Rector, the Youth Minister functions as overseer of the team. Together they proclaim the Gospel by word and deed, informed by the Holy Scriptures, the creeds, the Book of Common Prayer, the teachings of the Anglican Communion, and the Constitution and Canons of the Episcopal Church and Diocese of Virginia. In this 20-hour-a-week position (on average), the Youth Minister will love and serve Pohick’s young people, nourish and strengthen them to glorify God in Christ now and as they grow to adulthood. The Youth Minister will also reach out to youth in the community and shepherd newcomers.
Qualifications and Gifts: Ideally, the candidate will have a bachelor’s degree; familiarity with the Episcopal Church; experience in working with youth; cooperative attitude as a team player; and enthusiasm for youth formation and mission.
- Recruit and train adult advisors for the 5th and 6th grades; Junior High; and Senior High. This includes hosting an advisor retreat and ensuring required diocesan workshop for child abuse prevention and background checks.
- Plan and execute year-round youth programs, including regular meetings, youth retreat, pancake supper, events in conjunction with Christian Education and Outreach, fundraisers, and annual summer mission trip. Plan and present Lenten Series for grades 5-12 and Shrine Mont family retreat activities for youth. Overall, develop pastoral relationship with youth and empower them to live into their baptismal covenant.
- Involve youth in parish planning activities, including annual election of a youth vestry member, annual scholarship program, and ongoing coordination with the parish calendar.
- Provide communications to the parish regarding the youth, via Web page updates, Constant Contact, Pohick Post Newsletter, and parent communication.
- Regular attendance at weekly staff meetings and individual meetings with Rector.
Compensation/Benefits: Pohick’s Youth Minister compensation is $21/hour for 20 hours a week, or approximately $22,000/year. Pohick pays into the youth minister’s pension. Two weeks’ paid vacation, with approval of Rector in advance.
Submit cover letter, resume and references to: The Rev. Dr. Lynn Ronaldi at email@example.com by Friday, June 25.